Saturday, May 16, 2015

Shatter Me

We all have heard the rumblings. The Hindus and Buddhists say Nirvana. The Hebrews say Shalom. And Christians say harmony or peace. So what does it all mean? What does it mean to truly be at peace or to truly find harmony? We all want it, and we all search for that feeling, that relief of having no worries or problems to think about. So what does it mean to truly have it? To find your center, to find peace, or enlightenment, or balance. I've met many people of all faiths and cultures and they all have some similarities, but there's one saying that has always made me think. That being when people say "you have to balance mind, body, and spirit."


Now why does that strike me? Is it because it sounds like an eastern proverb or is it because it seems odd? Yes and no to all of these. It is very true that it fits most faiths and cultures, but it  is in a set of three. Which I know what you're thinking. "Whoo!! A three." Yeah it seems like nothing to most but today I was pondering like I do sometimes. And it struck me "mind, body, and spirit" (or I'm gonna say soul because I believe they are the same). To me that screams trinity. And I'll explain to you why I think that. 


Let's start with the non-tangible and work out way back to physical. 

Spirit "soul":
I believe that this represents the Holy Spirit, that part of you that fights to do the right thing. No matter what you call it, conscience, moral compass, or  discipline. To me the Holy Spirit is at the very center of everyone it is God Himself living in you and helping to guide you on your path. 

Mind:
The mind I believe is the representative of God. He is the center of everything. The engine of the entirety of the universe and He is the one who gives you your desires, thoughts, and ambitions. To have God at the center means that you will go on the path that is set for you and your mind will be in the right place.

And finally the body:
I'm sure you all see that I'm going to state that Christ is the representative of the body. He names the church several times as the body of Christ. But truly He means that we are to be like Him and to follow in His steps we become the body that moves and  grows in His steps. 


With this you can see that without one the others aren't as effective but yet neither has less value than the other. Your soul has no function without the body that moves it. But yet the body has no movement without the mind to guide it. This formula is perfection in motion. It is the only formula in the universe that just exists with no need for correction. With all that being said I get to my final point.


All of that means nothing without you choosing to let go...


The title I chose is not without purpose. I chose it because that's what I want Christ to do. I want Him to shatter me. Who I think I am, who I wish to be, and anything I do that doesn't honor Him. 


I want Him to shatter every aspect of myself that isn't forged for God's kingdom. If I fall I cannot stand unless He helps me to my feet. If I take a dive I will hit the ground unless I allow Him to carry me! I ask that He would shatter me into thousands upon thousands of pieces so there's nothing left of me. 


And in that I find joy, peace, patience, love, kindness, and self control. I find that balance of "mind, body, and spirit" I find my peace and harmony. My shalom, and my nirvana! Call it what you want, but to me it is everything. It's my life my very breath and my only hope!! 


If you truly wish to rebuild something first you must tear down before you can build it back up. He destroyed the temple and rebuilt it in only three days. Imagine what he could do with your life if you would just let Him. 

I know it may seem like chaos in the moment. Just please remember that even the most violent of storms follow Christ's command. 


"Nobility doesn't come from being better than your fellow man, true nobility comes from being superior to your former self."

           -Ernest Hemmingway 


It's not about being the best it's about being the best you that is possible. And it's easier when you are no longer pulling the strings. Be you and follow Christ and each day will move you closer to that balance but most of all don't be afraid to fall apart. Because God will never fail to be there to pick up the pieces.


In all things 
Love God 
And Love all people

And fight for the broken of this world! 


S.O.T.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment